Sunday, January 3, 2010

On Writing #1: Larry Brown

When I first started writing I wore out my copy of Larry Brown's short story collection, Big Bad Love, and to this day I don't believe any short fiction writer who knows what they're talking about can read it and not walk away without thinking, "Yes, this is how it should be done!"

After reading his novel, Dirty Work, I was so blown away that I went out and bought everything he'd written. The only other time I've done such a thing was after reading Ken Bruen's The Guards for the first time.

This clip is from a documentary called 'The Rough South of Larry Brown'. It's a new version completed after he died in 2004. If you like writer biographies and want to see the entire thing, you can get a copy through Duke University, Here.


0 comments: