Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lost in L.A.

Last night I finished the latest round of edits on the new book, so it looks like I finally have some time to post about my L.A. trip last weekend… The good and the bad of it.


To be honest, the bad wasn’t all that bad thanks to friends like Stephen Blackmore who picked me up at LAX after my flight was delayed in Denver for four hours. It was close to midnight when I arrived, so the fact he offered to drive out to get me because the rental car company had closed for the night says a lot about the guy. He also has a book coming out next year through DAW, and I talked him into sending me a copy. I can tell you, when this one hits the streets, you’re definitely going to want to pick it up.


Day two in L.A.: Still no car, and two signings scheduled. Luckily another friend, John Lopez, was kind enough to rearrange his plans and drive me out to Mysteries to Die For in Thousand Oaks for an 11:00 signing, then back to L.A. for a 1:30 signing at The Mystery Bookstore, where I was thrilled to learn they'd selected The Cold Kiss as their August Discovery Club's Book of the Month.


If John or Stephen had been busy, my first trip to L.A would’ve turned out a hell of a lot differently. But, thanks to them, I made it to both signings on time, met some great people at the stores, and got to hang out with a couple friends I haven’t seen in a while, Stephen Jay Schwartz, and Christa Faust.


Stephen’s first novel came out last year, and it's now available in paperback. His second novel, Beat, comes out this September in Hardcover.


Christa also has a new book coming out in March called Choke Hold. It’s her second with Hard Case Crime. Her first, of course, being this little gem.


After the signings, Christa gave me a ride back to the hotel and I got to hang out in the bar with her for a few hours before locking myself in the room to work on edits until my flight left the next morning.


And that was L.A.


Thanks to some very generous friends, and a couple fantastic bookstores, I really had a great time. I can't wait to go back for the L.A. Times Festival of Books in 2011.


Up next: This Saturday, August 7th, I’ll be in Minneapolis at Once Upon A Crime. I get to drive to this one, and it'll be nice to get a little break from crowded airports. Then next week, August 14th, I'll be in Houston at Murder By The Book. I hope everyone can make it out.


In other news, we’re only a few weeks from the UK release of Cold Kiss, and there seems to be a nice buzz building. Here’s a great pre-pub blog post from Liz at My Favorite Books, along with a link to a sample of the book you can download through Simon and Schuster.


And finally, look what I got in the mail last week…








I think this means it’s time for a giveaway.


Stay tuned…





3 comments:

John Mantooth said...

Those look spectacular.

Keith Rawson said...

Ummmm, I'd like a paper copy of the Grove (BTW, they turned out great.)

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Well, I had thought about gassing you and selling you to some guys I know Downtown in the organ harvesting business, but then I realized I'd have to lug your ass up five flight of stairs to Doctor Ling's. And he doesn't pay by the pound.

Glad I had a chance to hang out and I'm digging The Cold Kiss. Can't wait to crack open The Grove next.