Friday, November 13, 2020

Eddie Loves Animals

A couple months into quarantine I decided to write a few short stories, which is something I haven’t done in about twelve years. I wrote this particular story with ‘Noir @ the Bar’ in mind. If you don’t know what that is, N@tB is a “literary” event where a random group of crime writers get together at a bar in some pre-determined city and read their stories to each other (and anyone else who happens to be there) while drinking heavily. It’s always a good time, and I’ve done enough of them over the years to have a pretty good idea what type of story works best in this setting. 

Hint: The more absurd, ridiculous, or funny the better. 

Since another N@tB won’t be happening any time soon, I decided to send this one out into the real world and see what sober people thought of it. The story is called ‘Eddie Loves Animals’, and while I’m not sure it can be called funny, it is definitely absurd and probably a little ridiculous. And if Noir is characterized by fatalistic and cynical people living morally ambiguous lives, then this might be the most noir story I’ve ever written. 

You can find it at TOUGH:

Eddie Loves Animals






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I’m not sure if you still post on your blog but I didn’t want to reach out to you because I have read several of your books. I actually wanted to see if you felt like your book “The Ridge“ resembled the storyline of the new movie “Don’t Worry Darling” with director Olivia Wilde. Having previously read your book, I was taken aback by how similar the storyline elements were. In particular the utopia town theme, where everything seems perfect. Anyway I really enjoyed your book in particular, I remember calling my grandmother after I read it and telling her about the storyline and plot because I found it so fascinating. I remember reading it on my Kindle. She has since passed but I will always remember my conversations with her about books in yours in particularly.

Anonymous said...

*And yours in particular*